- Large bag frozen mixed berries – approx 2lbs (we used a raspberry, strawberry and blueberry mix), defrosted
- 1 jar New Canaan Farms Cherry Preserves
- 1 lb vanilla or butter loaf cake, sliced (buy store-made or Sara Lee butter pound cake)
- 2 cups custard, cooled (I make this with Bird’s Original Custard Powder)
- 1 cup mascarpone (or 250ml tub)
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 500ml whipping cream
- 4 tbsp Kirsch or Cherry Brandy (optional – could also use sherry)
- Fresh berries, to decorate
- Mix together the berries and cherry jam until well combined
- Cut the slices of cake into cubes (about 1/2″ long)
- Place 2/3 of the berry mixture in the bottom of your trifle bowl, and scatter the cake on top, pressing it down lightly into the layer below. Cover with the remaining berry mixture
- Put the custard, mascarpone and 3 tbsp sugar into a large bowl and beat until smoothly combined. Spoon this on top of the previous layer
- Put the whipping cream, remaining 2 tbsp sugar and Kirsch (if using) in a bowl and beat until soft peaks form. Cover both the trifle bowl and the cream tightly with cling wrap and chill until ready to serve – you can do this up to 24 hours in advance.
- To serve, spoon the whipped cream on top of the custard, and garnish with berries of your choosing. Note – you can do this up to 2 hours before serving, so you can enjoy your meal! I didn’t have any in-season cherries, so thawed and halved a few frozen ones, and added raspberries – yum!